Instead of exercising physically, I decided to try a mental exercise. In this exercise I challenged myself to list 25 things I like about myself. It was much harder than I thought it would be, and I thought it would be hard enough. It took me a few days to complete the list, and here is what I came up with.
1. Good mother
2. I'm going to school
3. Good cook
6. I play games with my kids
7.I do not quit
8. I can quote Shakespeare
9. I can quote the Bible too
10. I can manuever my van like a boss
11. I can suck a lemon without puckering
12. I can and will kill spiders!
13. I like my eyes
14. I am tall
15. I am weird, but I embrace my weirdness and that is good.
16, I have faith in the power of prayer
17. I pray daily
18. I will pray when asked(i.e. prayer requests from friends and so on)
19. Good writer
20. I take a pretty good picture too
22. I will duel my kids (and my mother) with pool noodles
23. I am the person who rocks out in their car
24. I can sew a button on a shirt
25. I can also sew a tear or do a hem.
I am joining my bestie Emmymom for Friday Five! I don't blog hardly ever very often, but there are times I remember I actually have a blog!!
1. School is going on normally. I am currently in a Linguistics class which I thought I would dispise. It turns out, I am loving it. It's all about everything I love. WORDS! Where the words came from, how we borrowed, and learned. By the way, give thanks to Shakespeare for a great chunk of words for he was a lover of them.
2. My oldest daughter is officially enrolled in college. I think I want to cry, jump for joy, hold her back and say, "No you cannot grow anymore!" She is going to BYU Idaho online through the Pathways program. It is awesome, and affordable. The best thing about it, when she gets her degree she will be able to walk with her peers as if she went to the Univeristy itself!! How cool is that? Go Cougars!!
3. Speaking of kids growing up...Emily is growing up too. Shoot. She is learning French. Not only is she learning French, she is doing it quite well. I want so badly to learn with her. Stay young my tiny human.
4. This year we only managed one beach trip. I am desperately trying to figure out how to sneak one more in there. We usually have at least three. If I could, I would rent one of those beach houses for a week. Now that would be awesome!!
5. So Emmy talked about how her kids (at times) have a tendency to "squabble", fight, brawl, whatever word suits your fancy! When your kids are young, I think it is all right. They will have their moments. Her kids are young. It is going to happen. However, when MY kids do it...the 15 and near 10 year old, I just have to roll my eyes and say, "Really!? Again!?" Although, at age 15 you are so over your little brother being an obnoxious little snot ALL THE TIME that you cannot take it anymore. And when you are nearly ten, it is your station in life to torment your sister. ALWAYS! So I am here to say, it doesn't go away because they get older, it goes away because they mature. Me and my sister figured it out, when she grew up...I was always the perfect child! DUH!
I took this headshot of Kristin for a job she is pursuing.
From our GA trip...proof positive that he is all boy!
This girl is very elusive! When you capture her it is GOLD. Isn't she a doll?
As a fan of the television show SUPERNATURAL it made sense that my husband would get me a phone case with its stars adorned on it. However, it goes much deeper than being a fan of the show. It's about what the case (and shirts) represent. "Always keep fighting" is the campaign driven by SPN star Jared Padalecki, and now his co-star Jensen Ackles.The campaign focuses on the fight for mental illnesses, depression and for those contemplating suicide. This is something near and dear to his(Padalecki's) heart, "I, for a long time, have been passionate about people dealing with mental illness and struggling with depression, or addiction, or having suicidal thoughts and, strangely enough, it’s almost like the life I live, as well." You can find the complete interview with Padalecki here.
It's not just about him, it's about dealing with my own depression and the things I have gone through in my life. While I have never known the lows of suicidal thoughts, I have known people in my life who have comtemplated taking their own life. I also know people with addicitons and mental illness. This is the reason I like my new phone case. It is not because of the dual portrait of the actors. It is because they are raising awareness of something that has long been brushed under the carpet because people are not comfortable talking about it. It is time to start talking about it and helping ourselves and those in need to "always keep fighting." We have barely scratched the surface when it comes to mental illness, depression, and additcitons. The more we are keenly aware of what is going on the more we can help in the fight.
I turn my phone so the case is showing, not so people will notice Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, but so they see the tag, "Always keep fighting."
National Suicide Hotline
1-800-273-8255 this number is available 24/7
If you have the slightest inkling that something is wrong with someone, and that you are inclined to check on them for any reason follow through with that feeling. You do not have to over explain your intentions, just let them know you were thinking of them and wanted to say hi.It might open a door to help them. It might not. The fact is we do not know. Reach out when the feeling to do so strikes. I like my new phone case, but it's not why you would think.
I am joining up with Emmy today for Ten Things to Smile About where we get to remember ten things that made us smile in the past month! What a wonderful gift to think about the positives in life.
First I'm sorry not sorry for the amount of times my smiles are a direct result of my kids or actors. I'm just easily amused and a proud Mama.
1. Kristin was the best Fairy Godmother! She simply shined and she was so adorable with the little girls.
Just look at the little on the left. It's too much!
2. Sometimes I play Mario Kart with Ryan on the WiiU. We trash talk each other, and the computer players. It's all in good fun.
3. And speaking of Ryan...he had to a biography of a favorite scientist/inventor complete with a short video.
Thanks to Kristin for editing the video.
4. Emily got her hair colored a nice golden blone (weaves) it looks so pretty and natural. And bonus she really likes it!
She's so stinking cute!
5. If this silly cat video wasn't funny enough....
But then my favorite actors Jensen Ackles and Misha Collins from Supernatural had to go and ACT it out in CHARACTER! Jensen in the closet as Dean Winchester and Misha as Castiel in the trench coat.
I can't tell you how long I laughed over this. It was ridiculous! They are fantastically silly.
6. Kristin was asked to prom... not like, "Kristin do you want to go to prom with me?" But a full flegded "prom-posal."
7. Which leads me to prom dress shopping... it wasn't too terrible. Kristin is a joy to shop with. The dresses are what is hard. We lucked out at Macy's. While the dress is sleeveless, it still goes up and over. Very charming and covers. Prom is not til May 9th. Sorry. It is a peachy/pink.
8. Ummm we have a game of Clue which is modeled after the game of Supernatural. We have lots of fun with that.
I may or may not have bought this air freshner. What does is smell like? Angel.
Good grief it has been so long since I last blogged that literally forgot how to get into blogger so that I could actually write a post! This is serious people! I am a writer after all. A writer in school, with three very busy children and one crazy life! So when I saw Emmy's tweet about Friday Five and my homework was done I thought I would dive in!
I will do thoughts first....don't be scared though okay.
1. I am really scared about my new class. It is math and I never did well. But see here's the thing. I have to prove to myself and my kids that the only way to overcome the "I suck at it" attitude is to dive right in and do it. That is what I am doing.
2. Netflix is a great and terrible thing. It's great because you can sit and watch hours of TV with absolutely no commercial interruption! It's terrible for the exact same reason.
3. I am not old enough to have a daughter who is graduating from high school. Yet, she will be.
4. Sometimes I think I am 19. I took a quiz that verified that fact for me.
5. I am the crazy cat lady...our cats follow me around just because I feed them and stuff.
Now for pictures....
We went paddle boating last month. It was fun.
I've been doing family history with my church* and my mom brought me this picture(plus a whole LOT more) The lady with the SHOTGUN would be MY great grandmother thank you very much!
I got a new phone case to go with my new phone. Sweet isn't it?
So Kristin is Rodger's & Hammerstein's Cinderella at her school. She is The Fairy Godmother.
This is how the play opens.
I don't know when I will be back, but I sure hope it will be soon enough that I will remember how to find blogger and write a blog post!
What do you do when the school year starts off bad? What do you when your child is being is targeted by a so called friend on a daily basis? What do you do when despite emails and meetings your child has taken matters into their hands?
Middle is school is brutal? How about the fourth grade? This has been the first two months of fourth grade for my son. A rotten turd child (yes I will call him that) has been picking on Ryan since school started. If that wasn't enough, a so called friend of his has joined this boy in this terrible treatment. Now when a random kid picks on a kid it is bullying. When a "friend" does it, I call this abuse. Certainly a nine year old doesn't realize he is abusing his friend, but let's face it, it is in fact abuse. These boys relish and delight in teasing and harassing Ryan for anything their simple minds can come up with, which at nine is limited. However, when you are nine as well feelings can be hurt easily. Unfortunately this is where the retaliation comes in. Ryan, like any other human being could only take so much and he snapped. He has resorted to hitting, pushing and kicking. That isn't to say these other boys didn't fight back, it is just that Ryan threw the first punch. Suddenly Ryan is the problem.
Now before anyone gets upset, let me explain that I did address this with the teacher. I felt like this was a problem and seemed one-sided. (I still do--which is why I am blogging after months of hiatus.) The problem here is I am not allowed to know the details of these boys' discipline or action plan. I just have to "have faith" that steps have been made. I can't really have much faith when they continue to harass my son and my son is basically on isolation. He is doing tech stuff on computers with the teacher during recess time. Now he likes this, and he is learning how to do things on the computer, but I am wondering what steps are being taken to correct the behavoir of the boys in question. Do they get to continue acting like little jerks, because there are jerks in the world? That is the message I got today and the message I heard my son get. I also felt like he had to just put up with it. To be fair, he was given some tools and action plans in order to defend that did not include violence. However, in a class of 31 students my son only has issue with two boys. Does this seem slightly off to anyone else?
I was in a bad mood the rest of the day. I cried. I didn't say anything further to my son other than funny stuff he could think in his head, because let's face it if he said anything verbal he would be the one in trouble. I kept my mouth shut, mostly because it was his birthday yesterday and I didn't want to spoil his day with my rotten attitude. But what would you do? Am I overreacting?
I am linking up with Shell today for Poor Your Heart Out. You can too!
It is time to reflect on what made me smile in the month of May, so I am linking up with my bestie Emmy to tell you all about it. Ready? Here we go.
1. Free Comic Book Day because we dressed up and had fun...
2. We did Relay For Life on that same day...part of it in costume...part of it as normal human beings.
Those Firemen though!
3. There were several kids little and not so little who wanted hugs and pictures with Kristin and Emily on Free Comic Book Day. I am shooting for dressing them as Queen Elsa (Kristin) and Ana(Emily) for Halloween. OMG how cute would they be??? And they would be followed by all the little girls!! Soooo cute. Me? Ummm....Marshmallow the big mean snowman. Hahaha.
4. I get some of the strangest followers for things I tweet? So, come on Tom Hiddleston...follow me already! Seriously though, I have DisneyFrozen following me, KidsTalent, A life coach, just to name a few.
5. We saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier....twice. Oh you need to see this....
Because Chris Evans...
6. Kristin participated in "Night of Incredible Scenes." She directed one from Big Bang Theory. She was Penny. She had an absolute blast doing it. And yes, it totally made me smile.
The cutest reincarnation of George Washington ever to be this on planet. All of third grade did a "Living Wax Museum" and he was George Washington. No wig...though I could have used corn starch. I used that once for a performance! Hahaha.
Mother's Day I was Queen for a day.
9. And speaking of Mother's Day...they made a cute video(at church) with all the children. Two things Ryan said that made me laugh extra hard: What does your Mom do that is funny(I think that was the question) Ryan said: When we watch The Avengers, of we play tricks on each other that means you are "Loki-fied" (This is actually his word) hahaha. The other question: If you had a million dollars what would you buy for your Mom? His answer: A red mustang. My boy! hahaha.
Because it's cute. (Because he is)
We went to Mulligan's yesterday and had lots of fun!